From:
[log in to unmask] (Evelyn L. Forget)
Date:
Wed Nov 15 15:27:28 2006
I'm doing some work on translation in HET, and I've noticed that there is a
trend among 19th century French women to enter scientific debate through the
medium of translation, often appending a startling preface to a translated
work as a means of promulgating her own, sometimes quite inconsistent,ideas.

Just 2 examples: 1) Sophie de Grouchy, marquise de Condorcet, translates Adam
Smith's TMS. The preface is a distinct essay in philosophy, masqerading as
clarification of Smith. She knows what she's done, but pretends otherwise.

2. Clemence Royer translates Darwin for a French audience, and appends an
equally (or even more) outrageous preface. Unlike de Grouchy, she is explicit
about what she's done.

I have several questions:

1. I've not noticed that 19th C male translators from English to French do the
same thing, but I might be wrong. Is anyone aware of examples?

2. Is this trend unique to France, or does it generalize? I've not found
examples of English translators of French originals doing the same thing. Do
they? (examples)

3. Do women/men in Germany or Italy, for example, do the same thing?

Thanks for any help or examples.

Evelyn Forget