From:
[log in to unmask] (Jack Bladel)
Date:
Thu Sep 28 09:18:01 2006
Regarding Mathew Forstater's post on the origins/history of "spontaneous
order," I recently addressed this question in the QJAE:

http://www.mises.org/journals/qjae/pdf/qjae8_4_2.pdf

I must admit to being unfamiliar with the Polanyi-Lowe connection; more
evidence on that relationship might change my verdict.  However, I will say  that the
usual evidence presented for Polanyi's having revived the expression is
rather unpersuasive.  Wilhelm Ropke seems to have used the phrase in print
(_Economics of the Free Society_, 1937) before Polanyi did.

As for Pete Boettke's belief that Polanyi, not J.S. Mill, is the source of
"spontaneous order," I would simply like to remind everyone that Hayek was an
accomplished Mill scholar, as well as a classical liberal, and so it would
certainly be quite possible for Hayek to have gotten the phrase, directly or
indirectly, from Mill.

Jack Bladel