From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Fri Sep 29 11:27:39 2006
Tony Brewer's comment that  the origins of the phrase 'spontaneous
order', and the origins of the idea as applied to human societies, do
not have to be the same, is obviously correct. So it is not silly to
look for the origins of the idea. I pointed out in an earlier message
why I do not think that Smith is a good source for the origin of the
idea. The reason is that he took coordination for granted. Hayek's
example of the price of tin emphasizes something like "the marvel of the
price system" as a "mechanism" for coordination. But, of course, the
proper way to express this is to refer to the specific actions that
cause the coordination to occur -- the setting of prices and the

One can be led to this entrepreneurship through Mill. The key is
Wakefield's notion of complex cooperation. See:

http://www.econlib.org/library/Mill/mlP.html

Search: Wakefield.

As I recall, I was led to this from a passage in Hayek. However, I am
not an expert on Hayek; so my recollection may be mistaken.

Pat Gunning