From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:19 2006

Gregory Zorzos:

Several others on the list have pointed out that the ancient Greek
use of the term "economics" is different than modern usage. Your
last message seems to address this, suggesting that the Greek
term has several meanings, and that there are several other terms
which are used for functions performed by ancient Greek
"economists."

My questions are these: modern "economists" would distinguish
themselves from "administrators" or "managers" or "factors" or
"stewards" (terms which I would typically use as a translation of
the Greek "economist"). Thus, even if the word is the same, the set
of meanings associated with it are different. Furthermore, many list
members would probably argue that the transition in meanings
associated with the term happened between the mid-1700s and the
beginning of the 1900s. As one contribution pointed out, when we
encounter a use of the older term in 20th century literature, it
seems odd or unusual to us. (At the same time, I'm willing to
entertain the notion that our modern usage is the unusual one!)

In what ways would you argue that there is continuity between a
modern economist and an economist in ancient Greece?

Ross Emmett