Date:
Tue Nov 14 19:54:08 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Can anyone tell me whence and why Tjalling Koopmans and/or George
Dantzig took this term, "activity analysis," for their Cowles
conference at Chicago in June 1949?
So far as I can tell from JSTOR, the term was in use (in English)
only among theorists of elementary and vocational education in the
United States from 1924 to 1950, when for the first time
Georgescu-Roegen put it in print about economics, in citing
Koopmans's forthcoming collection of essays.
Also, can anyone tell me why Koopmans wrote of von Neumann's analysis
of "activity" and "activities," when so far as I can tell von Neumann
never used these words?

John Womack