From:
[log in to unmask] (Barkley Rosser)
Date:
Thu Sep 28 18:07:04 2006

Peter J Boettke said:
>Polanyi (who I believe is the source of the term spontaneous order
>for Hayek, not Mill) spoke of the "span of central control".

However, the term "spontaneous order" was picked up
by Hayek from John Stuart Mill who referred to the
"spontaneous order of nature."

I am reading these backward.  We just had Bruce Caldwell
in to speak at my university yesterday.  He specifically claimed
that it was from Mill and his reference to "the spontaneous order
of nature" that Hayek got the phrase.

Barkley Rosser