From:
[log in to unmask] (Fred Carstensen)
Date:
Fri Sep 29 07:52:22 2006
Malcolm Rutherford wrote: I don't think the common law was entirely
spontaneous, as the central government of the time was involved in
the effort to have local  courts adopt a common set of rules.....

Fred Carstensen responds: Actually, the centralization of authority
in the Common Law courts was at first largely the work of Sir Edward
Coke (1552-1634), who, as Chief Justice of Kings Bench, sought to
suppress competing courts.  He also fought for the independence of
the judiciary, for which James I removed him from the Court.  The
ultimate supremacy of the Common Law courts came in two stages.
First, in1642, Parliament abolished Star Chamber, the highest of the
prerogative (royal) courts and the last remaining significant
competitor.  In 1701, the Act of Settlement established the principle
of the independence of the judiciary.  I take as a result 1701 as the
historical point at which both constitutional limited government and
capitalism was born.

For this discussion, what I would point to is the framework that this
established was one in which individuals (firms) could formulate
reasonably stable expectations about the future consequences of
current (economic) decisions--and thus engaged in micro-planned
activities that at the macro level appeared spontaneous.

Fred Carstensen