From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Fri Sep 29 08:03:28 2006
To answer John Medaille's question about what definition of spontaneity
is being used, "spontaneous" as I understand it refers to an order (a
normative system in a sociological sense) that is unplanned, either by
any single participant in the order or by a group acting in concert.
Regarding the common law, one can argue that the development of  A
normative system in accord with the King's wishes was indeed planned.
However, the PARTICULAR normative system that emerged over hundreds of
years was not planned.

One might say something similar about the inter-state market economy
that developed in the U.S. in accord with the constitution and in Taiwan
and South Korea following WW2 as the result of U.S. "guidance." The
Chinese economy seems to be following the latter pattern. The
inter-national economy that developed under the rules established by
GATT and the WTO, following WW2, is another example.

I suppose that language in the nation states of the world today is
similar. Whether any single individual or group planned to have A
language is a question for the anthropologists and archeologists, I guess.

Pat Gunning