From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Nuwer)
Date:
Fri Sep 29 10:06:01 2006

Fred Carstensen wrote:

> For this discussion, what I would point to is the
> framework that this
> established was one in which individuals (firms)
> could formulate
> reasonably stable expectations about the future
> consequences of
> current (economic) decisions--and thus engaged in
> micro-planned
> activities that at the macro level appeared
> spontaneous.

I think this is what John Commons was saying. The
common law is not an epiphenomenon; it has important
constitutive features. The doctrine of _stare decisis_
is a key element, as it changed the source of the
common law from custom to the opinions of judges. At
the same time, reliance on precedent does not prevent
judges from looking forward to ensure
that decisions are advancing some the relevant
collective end.

Michael Nuwer