From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Thu Oct 12 00:21:25 2006
Pat Gunning wrote:
>Hmmmmmm. Religious economics? Perhaps it can
>find a haven within heterodox economics?
>
>It is difficult for me to make sense of the
>notion that there is some special branch of
>economics called "religious economics."

You are correct, because there is no "special"
branch of economics that is "religious." Rather
all of economics is religious, in that all
economics terminates in terms that cannot be
resolved from within economics itself. When one
speaks of a "free market," one is already in the
middle of a theological discussion on the nature
of freedom; when one speaks of "the perfect
system of natural liberty," then one is
confronted with the questions of what constitutes
a "nature," where its liberty might lie, and what
will provide for its perfection. These are
questions that  must be referred to a higher science.

This is, of course, the nature of all sciences.
All branches of science must conform themselves
to the higher branch in the order of the
sciences. The biologist, for example, must
conform his findings to chemistry, the chemist to
physics, and the physicist to mathematics. That's
simply the way science works. A science that
recognized no higher science would simply be
circular and unable to norm itself to any
standard of truth, since the standard of truth
must always be supplied by the higher science.
All science is "normative," in that it depends
for a higher science for its norms, and positive,
in that it conforms itself to its own proper subject matter and methodology.

John Medaille