From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
Thu Oct 12 00:25:15 2006
My purpose is not to initiate a discussion on Roy Weintraub's lecture on Economic
Science Wars posted here; I will leave that to the experts.

But I am curious to know what exactly is the status of "Austrian economics" in the
economics profession/discipline? Since it is described as a separate school of
economics, it is obviously not orthodox/neoclassical. It then has to be considered
part of heterodoxy. This is an important question in light of Roy's comments about
the need for the HET community to distance themselves from heterodox schools which
he says are correctly perceived as hostile by mainstream economists. By all
accounts, Austrian economists have a community of scholars which functions similarly to
all other subdisciplines in economics. Thanks.

Sumitra Shah