From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Fri Oct 13 14:23:48 2006
"what exactly is the status of "Austrian economics" in the economics
profession/discipline?", writes Sumitra.

As a non-member of any community of Austrian scholars (there seem to be
at least two or three of these), my answer to Sumitra is that Austrian
economics has virtually no status in mainstream economics. This is
partly because of the ideological bent of a large proportion of those
who claim to be Austrians. It is also partly due to the fact that many
are not good economists. But fundamentally it is due to the fact that,
as in mainstream economics, it is not easy for "Austrian economists" to
separate the wheat from the chaff. Real schools of thought, of the sort
that existed in the 19th century or even midway through the twentieth
century, have little prospect of developing today, it seems to me. The
whole "profession" has become too "professional."

Menger, Mises, Hayek, Kirzner, and Lachmann would have regarded
themselves as economists. And that is all. The "revival" of Austrian
economics, which is praised among modern "Austrians" and which began in
1974, led to all sorts of strange results, partly because of the great
extent to which writing about economics had become professionalized. The
kinds of open forums that existed prior to World War II had narrowed
their focus without the economists of the day having resolved
fundamental disputes. The best examples of this during the 50s and 60s
were the rise of Keynesian macroeconomics and of British (Marshallian)
micro. It seems to me that the old fundamental problems were more or
less forgotten. They were replaced by struggles of great minds to gain
marginal advantages in a new economics profession based on the textbook
divisions of economics into macro and micro that emerged in the 50s.
Somehow, the textbook came to rule the profession. This left those who
might have carried on the ideas of Mises and Hayek as non-players in the
big game or, more correctly, games. So they created their own little
games where they could be big fish in little ponds.

Peter Boettke's list of successes seems lame to me. Hayek's work in
economics more or less ended 6 decades ago. Occasionally, an Austrian
has published in a major journal. And they have achieved some
professional recognition at other-than-first tier institutions. This can
certainly be regarded as professional success from within the Austrian
ranks. But the thrust of Sumitra's question was different, it seems to
me. Besides, there is the question of whether those who have achieved
success are true followers of Menger, Mises and Hayek. Probably the best
source on what Austrian Economics is is a now somewhat dated entry by
Kirzner in the New Palgrave.

Kirzner, Israel. (1987) "Austrian School of Economics." In J. Eatwell,
M. Milgate, and P. Newman (ed.). The New Palgrave: a Dictionary of
Economics. London: Macmillan: 145-51.

Most Austrians do appear hostile to the mainstream. So do most HESers,
it seems to me.

Pat Gunning