From:
[log in to unmask] (Robin Neill)
Date:
Wed Oct 18 19:30:56 2006
        I agree with what Anne Mayhew and Kevin Quin  wrote
about Warsh's book.  Indeed the  book is not logically tight, but my
point  is not  that  Warsh  has it  confused, but that the
economists about whom he is writing had it confused.

        Perhaps it has been empirically established that there are
constant returns to scale, but, if so, that is very significant with
respect to market  structure, as another respondent has pointed
out.

        There is, however,  much in another realm towards which
Warsh's book points.  It is a history of economic thought, and, for
all its illogic, it contains a very interesting story -- as Anne Mayhew
has pointed out.  When it is put with Helpman's MYSTERY OF
ECONOMIC GROWTH, it is an indication of the impossibility of
pursuing theory apart from the history of  theory.  When  it is put
with Lipsey's ECONOMIC TRANSFORMATIONS, it becomes
evident that economic history is closely tied to economic theory.
Because Lipsey and company are using theory to constrain
understanding of the past, and using the past to establish, if not
verify, theory.

        Lipsey's account of 'All Purpose Inventions" entails
Romer's "endogenous growth model", about which Warsh  has
written.  (I hope I understand all of this correctly.)

        I  conclude that neither Economic History nor the History
or Economic Thought are about to pass away, though they may
not be closely tied to  their institutionalization in academia.

        But I have  been too dogmatic in  writing this, and I
wonder  what you all think with respect to these matters.  Further,
there is  much more that could be said  about "Romer and Warsh",
 For example,  I have read Kurtz's (I hope  that  is the name)
critique of Romer.  It recently appeared  on this server.  Clearly the
limitations of  particular theories are of some concern.  Indeed the
limitations of all theories in  Economics are of fundamental concern.
Which is not  to say that because limited  theories are of no use
whatsoever.

And again further,  non-rivalrous goods, primarily information, and
technological advance, which are at the heart  of Romer's theory
have yet to be considered.

Robin Neill