From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Medaille)
Date:
Sun Nov 19 10:21:33 2006
Mason Gaffney wrote:
>So, I suppose what happened in Japan in the 1930's was wiping out the memory
>of the Meiji finance system. Orwell explained how this happens everywhere.
>The mind-bending power of the establishment is, well, mind-bending. Thank
>goodness for historians of economic thought to help check this tendency.

Alas, how many economists are really familiar
with the history of their discipline? The present
moment arrives for them as a given, even as an
immutable given, and the past, when it is viewed
at all, is viewed through the lens of the
present. This is a failure, since all economic
data is historical and all economic systems are
cultural artifacts. In my classes, I insist on an
historical foundation for all study; the best
argument that things can be otherwise is the fact
that they have been otherwise, and the best way
to understand the present moment is to understand the past that formed it.

John C. Medaille