From:
[log in to unmask] (Prabhu Guptara)
Date:
Tue Nov 7 20:55:29 2006
What a wonderfully readable and evocative review!

However, I think we are back to the debate we initiated earlier: is
economics a science or an art?

I would add: is science itself totally "scientific"?  The mythologies of
science are overwhelmingly around us, and not merely in economics.

In my view, all forms of "science" are merely masquerade when they
present themselves as something entirely and wholly other than
art...Science has an artistic or intuitive dimension, as well as a
mathematical dimension...

But then there is a mathematical dimension even in art...

Mathematics and science and "pure economics" are "pure" only because
they leave out the "impure" - but reality is not entirely "pure" - and
it is the "pure" as well as the "impure" that together constitute
reality.  So "purist" explanations by definition miss some of reality
-they may even miss the most important bits of reality.

Prabhu Guptara