From:
[log in to unmask] (Mason Gaffney)
Date:
Thu Nov 16 11:54:11 2006
Hsiang-Ke Chao wrote:
>I personally think the we in Taiwan only paid lip service to SUN Yat- sen's
>Three People's Principle (San-Min-Chu-I). It is purely political propaganda
>that Sun's ideas led to Taiwan's economic reform and economic development.

I would welcome more specifics

1. If political propaganda, who was the propagandist, and for what goal?

2. If not Sun's ideas, whose ideas, and what ideas, and what policies, led
to Taiwan's remarkable development?

Apparently Taiwan has backslid in recent years, especially in rural areas,
from applying Sun's ideals. Apparently, too, Sun's policies were originally
implemented by an outside force, the Kuo-min Tang (help, copy editors, I
haven't learned where to put the hyphens and caps), which was strong enough
to overcome the native landowners. Still, Taiwan raises substantial revenues
from property taxes on land, and even more from taxes on unearned increments
from land, as documented by Prof. John Riew, among others. So it seems to me
that Chao's few words are overstating his case, unless he can offer evidence
to the contrary.

Mason Gaffney