From:
[log in to unmask] (Mason Gaffney)
Date:
Fri Nov 17 09:07:27 2006
OK, I stand corrected, and grateful to have been set straight. Google
mentions Quesnay more than others - although one source says Voltaire was
the European Confucius, and as Rosser says, Goethe was also called a
Confucius. I also learn from Google that the Tokugawa Shogunate traded on
the good name of Confucius to push their reforms, even when they departed
from Confucius' actual teachings.

According to the Japanese source, Confucius valued agriculture above
commerce, which also points to Quesnay rather than Turgot.

It also seems clear that the name of Confucius carried weight in 18th and
19th Century Europe, so it is possible that anyone wanting to flatter or
puff up a person might call him a Confucius, so there may be several more.

Mason Gaffney