From:
[log in to unmask] (Alain Alcouffe)
Date:
Mon Jan 8 10:09:44 2007

As the discussion developped on language, the argument included in
Galiani's quotation by Theocarakis went astray unsurprising. Actually,
looking on the net for an English translation of this bit, I cannot
find any but I was permanently driven back to the same presentation
excerpted from the he Encyclopedia Britannica Eleventh Edition,  (for
example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinando_Galiani).. The
unfortunate Galiani is severely condemned for his book on the corn trade
"He fell, however, into some of the most serious errors of the
mercantilists".

I cannot find any translation of the "Dialogue" on the Library of
Congress catalogue (but I possibly overlooked that) .. It is a pity as
the book is funnier than the innumerable defence of free trade by
contemporary and subsequent writers.

For the (happy ;-) ) few who can read French, only some excerpts are to
be found on
http://socserv2.socsci.mcmaster.ca/econ/ugcm/3ll3/galiani/index.html but
the quotation by Theocarakis is not there
but the whole text is downloadable at
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k88409r.item

Alain Alcouffe