Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:30 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Rosser Jr, John Barkley)
================= HES POSTING =================

Well, Ross Emmett tells me offlist of a use by Frank Knight in 1924, which
might explain where Samuelson got it as he attended the U. of Chicago as
an undergraduate and studied with Knight. [NOTE: see separate message
from Emmett regarding this quote.--RBE] However, I have just looked at
the Clapham-Pigou exchange on "empty economic boxes" and the term does
not appear there.  Nor does it appear in Pigou's _Economics of Welfare_
as I originally indicated.  Nor have I seen it in Marshall, although if
somebody can find it there, more power to them.

Of course the concept was around since at least Adam Smith in its positive
sense, if not its negative sense.