From:
[log in to unmask] (Eric Hake)
Date:
David,

I also appreciate the fact that url's are easy to garble. So let me mend
the link to Kloss's piece at UC Davis that you cite.

http://www-honors.ucdavis.edu/fh/ct/kloss.html

The link on Feiner's email to the same article did not give me any trouble.
Here it is again.

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Epae_news/Kloss.htm

In the discussion of teaching social science classics to Freshmen, It seems
there are two main themes. The first notes that students today are too
ignorant to understand classics. The second thread, seems to be addressing
ways to engage students and recognize the complexity of analysis. Perry's
work is seful here. Rather than viewing the students as unworthy vessals,
the second theme seems to recognize that students who perceive education as
something to endure will not become actively engaged. The seven wonders of
the world could be displayed in the room for their enjoyment and the most
the teacher could elicit would be "whatever."

I think this issue can be partially addressed in economics by letting the
students recognize that there are disagreements in the discipline, that it
is a policy science, and the goal of the individual analyst is to develop a
tight logical argument well supported by relevant evidence. Attention to
assumptions, theory, logic, and policy conclusions become a necessary part
of the discipline. In HET, this means engaging the students in multiple
interpretations of the text. At least this is what motivated me.

A subject that has not been brought up is why American and increasingly
Canadian students have such a lack of engagement in the world around them.

Very interesting thread.

Eric Hake