From:
[log in to unmask] (Daniele Besomi)
Date:
Isn't the issue discussed in this thread essentially equivalent to
the question of whether or not economics is a discipline progressing
in a linear and cumulative way --that is, with new bits of knowledge
added to a definitive corpus? If the answer is yes, history of thought
would be a redundant pastime adding no useful knowledge to the
discipline; if the answer is no, then there is a scope for HoT, for
the simple fact that there is no way now to know whether we ('we'
whom?) are (now) on the right track or not.

Unless we take the history of economics to coincide with the history
of analytical instruments and theorems (by the way, did anyone notice
that the best article prize given by eshet is called "history of
economic analysis"?), which one could maintain that do improve and
cumulate, one could easily argue that the history of economic (or any
other discipline, for that matters: mathematics included) is far from
linear, but is characterized by unexpected return of old issues and
viewpoints (this sentence, cited by memory from an Italian
translation (!!), was used by the Nobel prize Ilya Prigogine in
association with the historian of science Isabelle Stengers to
describe the history of physics).

Daniele Besomi