From:
[log in to unmask] (Eric Schliesser)
Date:
I find Christopher J. Berry's (1997) The Social Theory of the Scottish Enlightenment
(Columbia University Press) very useful in approaching the Scottish, intellectual context
of Adam Smith.
Eric Schliesser
"Dr Chris R. Tame" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:----------------- HES POSTING
-----------------
Michael Perelman wrote:
>To what extent was the Wealth of Nation written as a blueprint for Scotland
>rather than England?

I'm not sure he meant it as a "blueprint" for anywhere.

On Smith in relation to Scotland and Scottish though in general, you
might find the following worth a look:

Fay, C[harles]. R. Adam Smith and the Scotland of His Day, Publications
of the Department of Social and Economic Research No. 3, Cambridge
University Press, 1956

Macfie, A[lec]. L. (1955), "The Scottish Tradition in Economic Thought",
Scottish Journal of Political Economy, II, pp. 81-103; reprinted in
Idem, The Individual in Society: Papers on Adam Smith, University of
Glasgow Social and Economic Studies, ns. No. 11, George Allen & Unwin,
London, 1967, pp. 19-41

There is, of course, now a huge literature on the Scottish Enlightenment
in general, and the relation of Smith's thought to the broader Scottish
thought of his time.

Chris R. Tame

"In general, there is a degree of doubt, and caution, and modesty, which, in all kinds of
scrutiny and decision, ought for ever to accompany a just reasoner."--David Hume, EHU
12.3.24

Assistant Professor, Philosophy Department, Syracuse University, 541 Hall of Languages,
Syracuse, NY, 13244-1170. Office phone: (315) 443-5816;  Fax: (315) 443-5675; Mobile
phone: 315-663-4308
philosophy.syr.edu/Schliesser.html; nesciocinema.blogspot.com

Research Associate, Amsterdam Research Group in History and Methodology of Economics,
Department of Economics, University of Amsterdam.

>From October 2005: VENI Research Fellow, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific
Research, Philosophy, Leiden University.