From:
[log in to unmask] (Mayhew, Anne)
Date:
Tue Oct 17 11:52:34 2006
decreasing and increasing returns when all inputs are variable, may I
suggest Bela Gold's article, "Changing Perspectives on Size, Scale and
returns: An Interpretive Survey," in the _Journal of Economic
Literature_, XIX (March 1981), 5-33.  In an article that I wrote with
Sidney Carroll on "Alfred Chandler's Speed: Monetary Transformation,"
(_Business and Economic History_, Vol. 22, no. 1, Fall 1993) we
summarized Gold's argument in these words:

"Gold provides extensive documentation in support of the argument also
advanced by Armen Alchian, that what are usually called economies of
scale are in reality economies associated with different techniques of
production and with different factor proportion.  Gold finds little
evidence that larger duplicates of smaller plants that are otherwise
identical in all other important respects do, in fact, produce at lower
cost.  He describes the long struggle in economic thought to preserve
the idea that size is cause, rather than consequence, of cost reducing
changes in production, and he concludes that at least two concepts of
scale economies have coexisted.  The 'restrictive' theoretical concept
attributes scale economies to size and holds all else constant,
technology as well as factor proportions.  The 'observational' concept
attributes scale-related cost reductions to changes in (among other
things) technology, factor proportions, and organization of production."

It is my impression that the distinction is not made clear in most
introductory, or for that matter, intermediate or advanced courses.

Anne Mayhew