From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Sun Nov 26 10:57:46 2006
Walras wanted economic science to be as precise
as physics, but he forgot, or did not know, what
physics actually was. Physics tells us that rocks
and feathers in the vicinity of the Earth fall at
the same rate, but we never actually see this
because the theory assumes a perfect vacuum, and
nature abhors a vacuum. Anyone who actually wants
to use the theory must make a precise adjustment
for the difference between the actual conditions
and the theoretical ones. For example, when a
designing an airplane, the precise measure of
this difference is called "air pressure." A
aerodynamic engineer who uses the pure theory
without regard to air pressure will find that his
plane never gets off the ground, or falls to
earth very rapidly if it does manage to take flight.

The "air pressure" of economics is the degree of
monopoly, monopsony, oligarchy, collusion,
regulation, corruption and frictional elements,
not to mention the starting point of the
distributions of property and  education, and the
institutional, cultural, and psychological
elements of an individual trade or of a whole
economy. Discussing economics without regard to
the political economy is like designing planes by
pure physics without regard to air pressure. The
abstract theory may be elegant indeed, but the
economy will fail to fly or crash regularly if we
have no measure of "economic air pressure."
That's how we get flat earth theories of
comparative advantages in the face of chronic and
seemingly intractable trade imbalances.

John C. Medaille