From:
[log in to unmask] (Mason Gaffney)
Date:
Sun Nov 26 21:28:47 2006
Maybe Walras was schizophrenic, but maybe, and more likely, he meant that
his model of commodity markets presupposed that, and would work well only
if, the land market was lubricated by a substantial annual tax based on
value, as he urged so vigorously and eloquently in his Theorie d'Economie
Sociale. That was certainly the overtly stated view of Henry George, arrived
at independently.

Jaffe contributed, intentionally or not, to the hijacking of Walras by
translating the pure-market-techie stuff long before the land tax work. We
should not be blaming Walras entirely for techies who cherry-picked his
oeuvres for what they required, and ignored the rest. Likewise we should not
blame Henry George for Arthur Laffer, Jr.'s, cherrypicking from his ideas to
promote his notoriously overstated Curve. Laffer ignored George's favorable
view of taxing land values. Laffer even supported Howard Jarvis's
Proposition 13 in California. "Evvaboddy talkin bout Hebbin ain't gwine
dere".

Mason Gaffney