From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Mon Dec 4 15:29:30 2006
Peter G. Stillman wrote:
>As someone interested in politics, I am struck
>by 'what countries do.'  Obviously (and, I
>think, as I've been re-reading especially
>Ricardo, helpfully), individual (& corporate)
>agents in countries act, by and large.
>
>But of course the laws of the country set
>boundaries, sometimes quite severe, within which agents can act.
>
>And, I wonder -- when a country goes to war, do
>we still conceptualize it as individuals acting,
>or is that a case when countries act?

Mises would say--as he did say--that "The
hangman, not the state, executes a criminal." So
I suppose he would also have to say, "The
soldier, not the state, goes to war." This is, of
course, true, but only trivially true, since
while the hangman does indeed perform the
execution, the action can only be interpreted in
a social context; it will be distinguished from
murder only if the victim was delivered to the
hangman by the actions of other officers of the
state acting within whatever judicial context
exists in that country. Likewise, in the case of
war, it is the soldier that fights the war but
the state that "makes" war. Actions are always
performed by individuals, but the individuals are
always acting in a social context and their
actions cannot be understood apart from that context.

In the case of comparative advantage, we address
the individuals because we are looking at the
individual motives, which are always to seek some
absolute advantage. But of course the trades
themselves take place in a context of currency, laws, customs, and so forth.

John C. Medaille