From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Mon Dec 4 15:30:34 2006
James C.W. Ahiakpor wrote:
>John Medaille asked: "Do I take it then that we
>have reached agreement at least on the third
>point, that Ricardo assumed that capital is confined to national boundaries?"
>
>No, Ricardo did not assume that capitals are
>always confined to national boundaries.  On the
>possibility of capital mobility between
>countries and its determinants in Ricardo's
>analyses, see e.g., Works 1: 136-7, 247-8, 2:452, and 3: 274.

Are you saying that he doesn't assume capital
mobility in all cases or just in the case of
comparative advantage? I ask because it certainly
seems to be a specific assumption in Chapter 7, no?

Also, I am still curious as to whether you think
a negative trade balance can be indefinitely
prolonged at an "advantage" to the nation, and
whether trading with slave labor or exploitative
labor is to be taken into account?

John C. Medaille