From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Thu Dec 7 16:42:11 2006
Pat Gunning wrote:
>John, it seems to me that you are Mises bashing
>for no obvious reason. Do you think Mises was
>ignorant of the notion that the hangman would be
>regarded as a murderer if the expectations about
>others actions (the "social context") were
>different? Do you have any evidence of his ignorance of such things?

It seems as if you are asking me to prove what a
person doesn't know, that is, to prove a
negative. That I cannot do. I can only deal with
what someone writes or does not write. And it
would seem to me that as a Misean scholar, it
would be a simple task for you to show, from his
writings, what he thought about the matter. And
although I do not claim to be a Misean scholar, I
can easily show that Mises did indeed know that
only a social context gives individual actions
any meaning. I know this because he says so (HA
42). That's not the problem. The problem is that
he can find no adequate terms to give meaning to
the social; his theory is merely circular. Mises
roots all human activities in autistic exchanges
(HA 243), even though he acknowledges that such
exchanges may never actually have happened and
the construction is imaginary (ibid.).
Nevertheless it is a concept that Mises says
economics cannot do without. Why can't economics
do without this imaginary construction? Because,
Mises tells us, "The specific method of economics
is the method of imaginary constructions.This
method is the method of praxeology. (HA 236)" I
certainly have no dispute with the imaginary
nature of praxeology, only with its methodological validity.

  From this imaginary construction, Mises tries
to develop some theory of society, but he has
only two terms with which to handle social
relations, the contractual and the hegemonic (HA
195). The problem is that the contractual forms a
very small part of our lives, and "hegemony" is a
loaded term. Neither term really describes social
action. The truth about man is that he cannot be
divorced from his purely social being, and no
"imaginary" autism can be posited without doing
violence to the reality of man's existence. The
most important elements of a man's life are not
matters of  either choice or force, but of gift,
including the gift of being itself. Each man is
called into being by the ready-made society of
the family. From these he receives certain gifts,
not only the material gifts of food and shelter,
but the gift of language, of nationality, and of
culture. Neither contract nor force serve to
adequately describe these relations. We do not
contract for our being or for the time of our
birth; we do not choose our mother tongue or our social environment.

The problem is methodological. Mises (and many
other economists) tries to construct a theory of
society without reference to the discipline of
sociology. As such, it is merely an undisciplined
conversation, and such conversations tend to
partake more of ideology than of science. There
is simply nothing in the training of an
economist, qua economist, that grants him any
expertise in social theories, and economists who
indulge their taste for such theories are merely
speaking beyond their professional competence. If
social theory is relevant to the discipline (and
I think it is), then the economist ought to
consult the proper discipline, ought to read,
say, Durkheim or Weber. The economist is then
free to disagree, but will at least have
knowledge of that with which he disagrees. He may
still prefer his imaginary constructs, but at
least it will be an informed dissent.

John C. Medaille