From:
[log in to unmask] (Bruce Caldwell)
Date:
Mon Dec 11 19:05:33 2006
I don't have the 1994 edition of Road to Serfdom on my shelf, so cannot
respond to the two page references Andrew offers. I have read the Road to
Serdom, though, and I stand by my suggestion that the slippery slope
argument, often attributed to Hayek by friends (Stigler, Robbins) and
critics (Samuelson, Wootton) alike, is not what he actually said.  I have
offered my arguments in the paper Andrew cites in the European journal,
and also in my editor's introduction to the new edition of The Road to
Serfdom that is being published by The Collected Works. I invite those
interested to read those.

I concede that the Look cartoon version is perhaps consistent with
Andrew's argument. I also think that the Reader's digest condensed version
is. This may help us to understand how such misreadings can occur. What
Hayek's 1983 address, The Muddle in the Middle has to do with the argument
in the Road to Serfdom, which is what we were talking about, is unclear to
me.

Bruce Caldwell