From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Mon Dec 18 09:18:11 2006
John Medaille wrote:

> If you merely mean that things can in general be analyzed with logic,
> then this is true but only trivially true, and we hardly needed
> praxeology to tell us this. But in any actual analysis of action, we
> run into three sets of problems.

This is not what I mean. When Mises writes of the logical structure of
the human mind, he means something different -- something that you have
not yet understood. The structure he has in mind is a structure based on
the assumption that individuals act, as he defines action. Apparently, I
am not able to persuade you that you have misunderstood him. You
continue to lift quotes from his text to support your points and I must
continue to point out that there is a deeper meaning to the text quotes
than you have so far acknowledged.

As I said before, I do not which to engage you in a philosophical
discussion on the HES list. I doubt that the list has the stomach for a
philosophical debate in which I largely try to play the role of Mises. I
only wish to point out that you have not understood Mises well enough to
justify your remarks about him, which I described in my initial post on
bashing Mises. Or, since "pointing out" requires communication which
does not seem to be occurring between us, perhaps it is enough for me to
simply express my opinion on this matter.

I can readily understand why you think that Mises scholars, or perhaps
only me, operate on faith. If I have correctly interpreted your earlier
posts to the list, you tend to see values everywhere in economics.
However, that you think this does not make it true.

Pat Gunning