From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
Wed Dec 20 16:17:17 2006
John Medaille wrote:

> I certainly agree that Mises rejected equilibrium, and many other
> particular doctrines as well. Of course, one can ask, if equilibrium
> (and hence equity) is not possible even in principle, than what
> rationale remains for the system? But laying that question aside, the
> reason for regarding Mises as the purest form of neoclassicism
> involves the basic assumptions of neoclassicism, namely the
> self-interest maximizing, autonomous individual.

"As a thinking and acting being, man emerges from his prehuman existence
already as a social being.  The evolution of reason, language and
cooperation is the outcome of the same process;  they were inseparably
and necessarily linked together."  (HA:  43)

"Inheritance and environment direct a man's actions.  They suggest to
him both the ends and the means.  He lives not simply as a man in
abstracto;  he lives as a son of his family, his race, his people, and
his age;  as a citizen of his country;  as a member of a definite social
group; as a practitioner of a certain vocation;  as a follower of
definite religious, metaphysical, philosophical, and political ideas;
as a partisan in many feuds and controversies.  He does not himself
create his ideas and standards of value;  he borrows them from other
people."  (HA:  46)

"Individual man is born into a socially organized environment.  In this
sense alone we may accept the saying that society is - logically or
historically - antecedent to the individual."  (HA:  143)

So much for the "autonomous individual" in Mises (and this is just from
HA, there's more elsewhere).  I'm not even going to bother to refute the
"self-interest maximizing" part because Mises never invoked the language
of "maximization" and his notion of "self-interest" was so broad as to
be nearly empty.  It certainly was not narrow "self-interest" in the way
we often talk about it now.

I must confess my pleasure in seeing an extended discussion of Mises's
work on this list, as I do think he needs to be taken seriously by
historians of thought.  I must also confess my disappointment that we
are seeing this attempt to read Mises into a neoclassical framework that
is utterly contradicted by not just the text of HA but by his whole
life's work, not to mention that of the modern Austrians who are
attempting to expand and explore his framework.

Steve Horwitz