From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Tue Dec 26 11:05:28 2006
Fred Foldvary wrote:
>This overlooks the producer surplus, which is mostly
>land rent, and indeed (as Ricardo wrote) does not
>enter into the cost of production, hence is a social
>surplus. The ethics of equity has to confront who
>should receive this surplus.  And this has nothing to
>do with equilibrium, as the surplus exists also in
>disequlibrium and in economic dynamics.

I agree with this, but Clark would not, and it
was Clark's thesis that I was explicating, not my
own. And for Clark, equity is the result of
equilibrium. On my own view, equilibrium is more
likely to be the result of equity.

>But of course if a supply curve slopes up, there is a
>"producer surplus" which (as Marshall recognized) is
>really mostly land rent, and since land is not a
>produced good, the suruplus is really a "non-producer"
>surplus.

Again, I mostly agree (although I don't think
that all economic rents are ground rents), but
this is not Clark's view, and certainly not the
NCE view in general. Clark thought he could get
rid of Marshall's problem by turning capital into
a mysterious fund, a platonic entity that floated
above its actual material content, a content that
happened to include land. He performed the same
courtesy for labor and hence de-natured both land
and labor. In doing so, he turned land and labor
into fictitious commodities (Polanyi's term) and
hence no longer had to deal with their actual
existence; in other words, he defined George's
and Marshall's problem out of existence. The most
current practical explication of this thesis, by
the way, is in Hernando de Soto's "The Mystery of Capital."

>No, but we should recognize that besides cultural
>values there is a rational universal ethic (or natural
>moral law) that can be derived using reason.  As John
>Locke wrote in the Second Treatise:
>
>"The state of Nature has a law of Nature to govern it,
>which obliges every one, and reason, which is that
>law, teaches all mankind who will but consult it, that
>being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm
>another in his life, health, liberty or possessions."

I agree that there should be and likely is a
"universal ethic." Indeed, Clark was certain that
he had discovered it, and published in purely
religious journals the claim that he had worked
out  the natural laws of the moral and economic
orders. The problem is, however, that the
"universal" for humans is only reached through
the cultural expressions of it; man has no other
way of being than being cultural, being enmeshed
in particular language and social systems.
Ethical claims can never, and likely shouldn't,
escape a certain amount of cultural
particularity. Therefore, the claim to have
reached the "universal" always has to be greeted
with a certain skepticism. No ethical system can
be logically validated because ethics do not
belong to the realm of speculative reason, but to
the practical reason. Thus Locke's system (like
Aristotle's, Aquinas's, Mandeville's, Clark's or
Mises's) is merely a rival claimaint to
universality. And there is an inherent problem
with a universality that has so many rival
versions. The question then is how you compare
these rival claims to arrive at a reasonable
judgement. Ethical propositions can never be
demonstrated in the same way that mathematical
ones are but are compared through an entirely
different methodology. And I believe that since
ethics belong to the practical reason, economics
plays a key role in the comparison of ethical
systems, but not the role that it has generally
played, which is mainly one of being in itself one more rival claimant.

John C. Medaille