From:
[log in to unmask] (Samuel Bostaph)
Date:
Tue Dec 26 13:41:58 2006
You are correct; I missed your main point.

Methodological expositions always have underlying epistemological and
metaphysical "stances"--whether their authors are aware of them or not.  So
far as I know, assumptions about the ground of being are not provable but
consist of statements like "I think, therefore I am" (Descartes); "I am,
therefore I must think" (Rand); or "Only I am" (simple-minded solipcism).

Mises's methodological "exposition" merely spins out the implications for
praxeology (and economics) of the metaphysical assumption that human beings
exist physically separate from one another, but reason can explain their
interactions--those interactions themselves having no physical existence.
He uses a lot of assumptions concerning the nature of human beings and human
consciousness that are themselves subject to argument and lead to the sort
of discussions that Bruce Caldwell would like to see ended.

Samuel Bostaph