From:
[log in to unmask] (Mason Gaffney)
Date:
Wed Dec 27 20:53:37 2006
James Ahiakpor writes:

"I would suggest that Gaffney read carefully Clark's 1890s criticism of
Bohm-Bawerk's criticism of classical capital theory of interest and
Knight's 1930s debates with F.A. Hayek over the concept of capital
again.  He would find that it was Bohm-Bawerk's and Hayek's fixation on
"capital" to mean capital goods only that drew the criticisms.  The
classics and their "faithful" followers understood capital in the theory
of interest as funds, not capital goods.  And as Knight pointed out to
Hayek, "capital" as "funds" comes out of savings from income, it does
not take time to create as capital goods do.  The problem was one of
language, which the Austrians needed to make a greater effort to
understand, as the speakers of that language intended it. "

I find in Frank Knight the statement that in a "going concern" the lapse of
time between input and output is eliminated because input and output are
simultaneous. That is like saying college students are educated instantly
when the outflow of graduates equals the inflow of new freshmen. It
indicates to me (along with other evidence) that Knight did not understand
much about inventory management and cash flow or the corresponding financial
truths, or integral calculus either for that matter. I am afraid he got
carried away by the exuberance of his own verbosity and lost track of how
capital as a platonic fund must relate to capital actually stored in
physical or mental or other such real form.

Accordingly, Lionel Robbins could write in his 1934 Introduction to
Wicksell's Lectures,

"From 1870-1920, "much of the economics was . an economic theory of
acapitalistic production. Considerations of capital theory proper . simply
disappear from the picture" (Robbins, 1934)".

Wicksell in his "grape-juice model" had no problem keeping the inventory
from vanishing in a going concern, he just inverted the order of
integration. Tragically, the profession gradually followed Knight and
Stigler and discarded Wicksell, the Swedish Austrian, along with the
Austrian Austrians. I am not aware whether the Austrian Austrians ever
caught up with Wicksell, but if they did I hope someone will spread the
word.

When Keynes rushed into the vacuum left by the acapitalistic theories of
Clark and Knight he faced an analytically analogous problem with his
multiplier, dragging out over time. So he, or one of his expositors (I do
not know which, but someone out there probably does), came up with the
instantaneous or "vertical" multiplier. The squabbling over this lasted 15
years or so, as I recall, until people got the idea. Minds were so locked
into the timeless or instantaneous thinking of Clark and Knight, it was hard
to readjust. Graduate students had to suffer through all this, hoping for
light at the end of the tunnel and wondering if the agony was worth it.

Auguste Comte said that theories deal either with relations of sequence, or
of coexistence. Wicksell's grape-juice model, like the vertical multiplier,
deftly converted a relation of sequence into the corresponding one of
coexistence. May we all learn from it, and flee from the confusions sown by
Clark, Knight and Stigler.

Mason Gaffney