From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Thu Dec 28 17:42:28 2006
E. Roy Weintraub wrote:
 > Ex cathedra pontifications by historians of
economics about the proper role of axioms in science,

It seems to me that merely looking up the word in
the dictionary is sufficient to rescue anybody
from a charge of mere "pontification." The
dictionary use, however, does not exclude the
same term being used in analogous senses in
specific fields.  Nor is it my place to contend
with von Neuman, who operates in an intellectual
space 10 orders of magnitude, at least, above my
own, and who is one of the authentic geniuses of
the 20th century. Yet I very much suspect that
his system of axioms is not arbitrary, but
something that can easily be accepted by those
who work in those rarefied spaces, thus
preserving the analogous sense of axiom. Even in
philosophy, something generally accepted can be
treated as an axiom, but this is somewhat
dangerous, since such things as slavery and the
inferiority of women have, at times, been taken
for axioms of social thought. Such axioms must
always be open to examination and revision.

Far more useful to this discussion would be an
explication of the necessary and sufficient
conditions to treat an economic postulate as an axiom.

John C. Medaille