From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
Tue Jan 2 17:38:56 2007
Besomi is right about the problems of translation, quite right (as I
can testify) about these problems in the history of thought and
science, including "economics."
It is odd, however, that all of a sudden we seem to have returned
without a memory of it to a discussion that ended a couple of years
ago, on language and economics. As I remember, most discussants then
seemed to conclude, happily (at least for them), that since "English
[I paraphrase] is now the language of economics around the world,"
that's the only language an economist need know, or that a historian
of economics need know.
I wonder what we will now (tentatively) conclude.
I wonder too why in the Anglo world the professional history of ideas
and intellectual history generally require reading skills in
languages besides English, except--some would say--for the history of
ideas in economics.
I also wonder why the history of economics, if economics is a
science, would require only English, if History of Science graduate
programs have foreign language requirements (e.g., French and German).
And I wonder what will be the effect on the economic thought of
US-based economists, speaking and reading only English, when massive
outsourcing of economics jobs starts to India, Pakistan, or (why
not?) China, where if not already, then soon, there will be more
English-speaking and -reading economists than in the "West," and
working for much less.

John Womack