From:
[log in to unmask] (Alain Alcouffe)
Date:
Sun Jan 14 10:17:22 2007
[I am resending this message because of a technical glitch. Alain has made a couple of changes in this version. HB]

Well, I hope that I can supply a clue for the puzzle Hayek-Reig-Marx.

First the catalogue of the Spanish national library indicates only 7
items with the name Reig Albiol. The two brothers Joaquin and Luis have
translated 5 books from German or English into Spanish.

Joaquin has published three editions of La acci=F3n humana the human
action (Ludwig von Mises - first published in 1949). The first one was
published in 1968 and a third revised edition was published in 1980. He
translated alsoEconomic Policy: Thoughts for Today and Tomorrow. (Seis
lecciones sobre el capitalismo) (in 1981) and Liberalismo (Liberalismus.
Jena: Gustav Fischer, 1927) (The BNE gives an edition in 1982 - for
http://www.mises.org/misesbib/m1925.asp, the publication date is 1960.)

Luis was the translator of Hayek's Law, legislation and liberty (1979)
and .. The fatal conceit (1990)..

Now the link between Jevons and Menger on the one hand and the delay of
Marx's economic publications can be found in Ludwig von Mises' Human Action:

"When Jevons and Menger inaugurated a new era of economic thought, his
career as an author of economic writings had already come to an end; The
first volume of Das Kapital had already been published several years
previously. Marx=92s only reaction to the marginal theory of value was
that he postponed the publication of the later volumes of his main
treatise. They were made accessible to the public only after his death."
(p.482) (pdf 4th edition downloaded http://www.mises.org/).

Right now, I have not at hand the "Fatal conceit", but I presume that it
was this passage of von Mises which is echoed in the fatal conceit, the
brothers Reig Albiol could have played a part in the resurgence of it in
the fatal conceit.

Anyway, it will be interesting to check how Luis Reig Albiol translated
the alledged reference to his brother in the spanish publication of the
fatal conceit... He possibly corrected the source.

On the other hand, there is only one book of Bohm Bawerk translated into
Spanish (Kapital und Kapitalzins (Teoria positiva del capital) (the
Spanish edition is edited by Jose Antonio de Aguirre [1998] (no mention
of Luis or Joaquin Reig).

Of course, I did not exclude that the hypothesis formulated by Mises in
1949 (the link Jevons-Menger-Marx) originated actually in Bohm Bawerk.

Alain Alcouffe