From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Perelman)
Date:
Sun Nov 25 09:17:55 2007

Thank you, Mason, for your mentioning of importance of the reuse of old
sites.  One important byproduct of this discussion of creative
destruction is the logical conclusion that we have absolutely no
theoretical concept of depreciation and that the rules of thumb that we
have may be useful but they are far from precise.

Of course, if depreciation is unknown because of creative destruction,
so too is profit.  Future depreciation becomes as much a part of animal
spirits as expectations of future demand.

Finally, the discovery of new uses of old capital stock introduces the
possibility of negative depreciation -- that capital may become
increasingly valuable over time.

I am convinced that replacement investment represents one of the many
soft underbellies of economic theory.

Here is a brief extract from my book, Keynes, Investment Theory and the
Economic Slowdown: The Role of Replacement Investment and q Ratios (NY
and London: St. Martin's and Macmillan, 1989):

"A survey of plants with more than 100,000 sq. ft. in the North Central
US, which closed between 1 July 1977 and 1 September 1980, found that
about half the idle plants had been constructed after 1947 (Institute of
Science and Technology, 1984, pp. 6-7).  Of the 56 plant closings
analysed in the study, more than one-third had been demolished or
abandoned or were still on the market.  The fact that many of the plants
studied in the survey stood idle or even no longer existed did not
demonstrate the absolute absence of an economic potential;  instead it
was a bleak testimony to a failure to recognize that potential.  A
detailed architectural study of such buildings, combined with relevant
economic analysis, found that such buildings might be ideal for certain
purposes;  for example, the same plants that might be inappropriate for
an assembly line process, might well suit the gravity feed and batch
milling of pharmaceutical powders (Institute of Science and Technology,
1984, p. 19).

In fact, with enough ingenuity such plants can successfully accommodate
traditional smokestack industries.  For instance, General Motors
profitably renovated its half-century old Baltimore manufacturing plant
with a 1500 person retrofit team using a winding roller-coaster-like
assembly line (Zaslow, 1985, p. 9c).  Finally, many old industrial
plants near Boston now house some of the prestigious high technology
companies springing up in the region."

Michael Perelman