From:
[log in to unmask] (Erik Thomson)
Date:
Sat Dec 30 12:21:33 2006
While I agree with Anthony Waterman that it is desirable to read French
to understand the history of economic thought in the 17th and 18th
century, I do not think translating phrases from foreign languages is
ever insulting.  After all, to understand the natural law background to
18th century economic thought, a knowledge of Latin is essential and one
of Greek quite useful.  For 14th-16th century thought, Italian should be
added.  So few historians of economics have read Dutch that the Dutch
contribution to economic thought is underappreciated.  And scholars who
specialize in more modern economists but who have a passing interest in
the 18th century might have put their efforts into German, Swedish or
some other language.  It would be best for even those who wish to
understand the history of economic thought in its canonical terms within
Europe to read at least six and probably more languages, but I doubt
that the majority of scholars who contribute to this list do. (This
doesn't even make account for historians who wish to study economic
thought outside of Europe and North America or non-canonical
traditions.)   Translating foreign languages thus seems polite, because
it does not exclude scholars with different skills from the discussion.
If the original language is particularly crucial, then including the
original language along with a translation seems the best solution, even
if a little awkward.

Best regards, and happy new year!

Erik Thomson