SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Thompson, Kenneth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:20:13 -0500
hi all,

as a us citizen myself, i am acutely aware of this country's history regarding race/ethnicity, gender and class (and religion, age, sexual orientation, health status etc etc).  for all our all men (sic) are created equal and endowed with inalienable rights, the powers that be have found lots of ways to divide people and either exploit or neglect them.

it is clear that racial/ethnic minorities have had to struggle in distinct and difficult situations that persist to this day.  but it is not true that "white people" in the us constitute a homogeneous population such that it makes sense to compare "whites" against other race/ethnicities as the sole benchmark of social justice.  social class (linked with ethnicity/regional identity, gender and religion), in particular, drives a wedge between white folks.  if i have my facts straight, in absolute numbers, white folks make up more then 50% of people living in poverty in the us and probably the bulk of the working class too.  but our racialized approach turns these folks invisible- so pale as to be transparent.  studies examining the distribution of ill health in the white community are almost non existent.

this in not to say that race/ethnicity (or gender etc) are unimportant. for example, the histories of the people are different because of race/ethnicity, and that historical experience affects how people see things.  not only that, its true that people occupy different places in the world- and these places have different qualities that effect health.  but the absense of money and political power limit the possibilities of all communities and peoples.

regarding health, class matters because it is tied to critical issues that effect health- such as access to resources, respsonsiveness of institutions, family and community burderns, resources to resist oppressioin or marginalization. these issues are much deeper then access to health care or its quality.  as dennis notes, health is only partially a product of health care.  it is much more a product of the circumstances in which a people live.  this concept is exceptionally difficult to get across to folks in the us, where its the health care crisis (not the health crisis) or a problem of health care disparities rather then health inequities.

most folks in the us, i find, have a great deal of difficulty grasping the last few sentences in what i wrote above.

ken