From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter G. Stillman)
Date:
Wed Jan 3 09:56:28 2007
I am interested in the various interpretations of Keynes on the long
term.  Am I jumping in way too late?  (As a non-economist) I had
always interpreted Keynes's remark (totally out of context) as being
opposed to those economists whose response was always that in the
long run everything balances out, or everything clears, or everything
turns out fair (i.e., if we just let the free market, whatever that
is, do its job).

And so, in fact, Keynes was the moral one, saying that you need to
think about the real lives of real people, and the "long-view"
economists were the immoral ones, because if in the long run (the
next century or so) everything balances, nonetheless in the meantime
hundreds of millions of people are suffering.

Peter G. Stillman