From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Fri Jan 26 07:57:18 2007
would go down to marginal costs, this is only true if there are fixed
cost functions (as opposed to fixed costs) and fixed demand. In other
words, it is a static conclusion. Competition is perfectly compatible
with profit in reality, as opposed to the static model. I am sure that
Michael realizes this.

 From the cursory reading I did today, I think that Michael is right
about most economists in the early AEA, including J. B. Clark. This is
not surprising since they were members of a profession seeking both
popular and government recognition during a period when the intellectual
public was inclined to blame big business and big finance for problems
in their life. On the other hand, the complaints are ironic; since until
1913 or so, world real GDP per capital was ending a century or so of
unprecedented growth at an increasing rate, while world population was
also growing at an increasing rate. Toward the end, the U.S. was a
leader of this growth. This trend in world GDP continued after WWII. So
the Americans intellectuals were getting richer while complaining
louder. Big, expensive empty barrels make the most noise. And the
professional economists seem to have readily accommodated by filling
them with the fluff of economic half-truths.

Michael, I don't see why an entrepreneur would want to avoid industries
with relatively high startup costs (i.e., costs that must be incurred
long before the product is sold). The choice to enter such industries is
more uncertain, but it presumably would be associated with higher
rewards to compensate.

Perhaps more to the point, the concern expressed by the early 20th
century American economists seems to have been with economies of scale
(or natural monopoly), not fixed costs. The worry was that efficiency in
cost would require a monopoly. There was also a great deal of concern
about combinations or buyouts of and predation on previous competitors
and the belief that such combinations inevitably cause the price to
rise. The concept of "fixed costs" seems out of place here, at least as
I recall from my microeconomics courses.

Incidentally, today's reading took me to J. B. and J.M. Clark's "The
Control of Trusts," where I encountered a different use of the term
"dead weight."

"If we can carry out all the changes and reforms proposed in the
preceding pages...we shall not be burdened with the swollen and
unnatural growth that comes from trying to absorb all possible
competitors and that often results in burdening the merger with
inefficient plants which the rest must carry as a dead weight." (first
paragraph of Chapter Eight).

http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/econ/ugcm/3ll3/clarkjb/ControlTrusts.pdf

Pat Gunning