From:
[log in to unmask] (Alain Alcouffe)
Date:
Sat Jan 27 11:36:09 2007

Thanks for quoting this preface to the French edition - Keynes himself
clearly was making his best to advocate his "revolution".

May be we could remind us that in Keynes' (and Joan Robinson's) line of
fire stood the "Treasury view."

Discussions about "laissez faire", unbalanced budgets, gold standard,
etc. were  interwoven. I remember it was a headache for me when I was
translating Joan Robinson (or Mark Blaug's chapter on Keynes) to
translate this expression.

I found  useful "The "Treasury View" on Public Works and Employment in
the Interwar Period"
G. C. Peden - The Economic History Review, New Series, Vol. 37, No. 2.
(May, 1984), pp. 167-181.

Peden clearly did not support Keynes but he portrayed the different
positions in a way which can perhaps explain the kind of generalization
made by Krugman.

Alain Alcouffe