From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Thu Feb 1 07:59:59 2007
Steve Kates wrote:

> Prior to the publication of the General Theory economists had been, so far as the macroeconomy was concerned, laissez faire. Since then it has been almost entirely the other way round. Once theory opens the role for public spending as the crucial counterweight to the supposedly natural tendencies of economies to fall into recession, then any suggestion that economic theory represents a laissez faire perspective falls completely away.

Steve, I guess it is difficult to know what Krugman had in mind.
However, I would supplement your remarks with some comments about
various anti-Keynesian sentiment among economists, particularly after
the 1960s and particularly in the U.S. Insofar as one is referring
exclusively to the "macroeconomy," are not monetarism and supply-side
economics largely laissez faire, according to your view?

It may be no exaggeration to say that what remains of Keynesianism in
the U.S. today is anachronistic. I would speculate that few noted
economists today see public spending, by itself, as a means of avoiding
recession; although many support it for other reasons. Most economists
do not expect a recession so long as there is monetary stability and
consistency in government spending and taxing policies. And, if there
was a recession, most would not expect government spending financed by
borrowing to reverse it. This leaves monetary policy; and few would
advocate expansionary monetary policy, given what we know about the
relationship between money and inflation.

I don't want to start a discussion on the merits of Keynes or
Keynesianism. My only point is that I think that you may have neglected
attitudes about the macroeconomy that have followed the years of high
macro theory. But perhaps you discuss these in your book.

Pat Gunning