From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
Tue Feb 6 13:20:03 2007
I guess I'm not convinced that Krugman is wrong on Keynes and the
Classics.  What I think is new in Keynes is the notion that unemployment
could be part of a genuine equilibrium for the economy, and more generally,
the idea that the economy may have multiple (Pareto-ranked) equilibria. The
liquidity trap created by bear speculators' uniform conviction that the
interest rate will take on a certain value (cf. Leijonhufvud's
interpretation of Keynes) prevents falling prices from correcting the
problem and so allows unemployment to persist.  There are multiple
equilibria tied to different (uniform) expectations for the  interest rate.

Kevin Quinn