SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Jeff Denis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:32:09 -0500
A good portion of racial inequality in health is due to the associated economic
inequality. But not all of it. Some of it is due to everyday experiences of
racism, plain and simple. For a nice summary of research evidence, see:
http://www.rwjf.org/reports/grr/026422.htm (based on the longitudinal studies
of David Williams, now at Harvard's School of Public Health).

I haven't read "The Trouble with Diversity" yet, but my understanding is that
the author is saying the focus on diversity and racial identity distracts from
broader structural issues. It leads people to worry about things like the
number of black managers or CEOs rather than how the current economic system
allows some people to make billions while others literally starve. So, programs
like diversity training can only do so much. In the absence of broader
structural changes, they may even make things worse.

Having said that, it's worth emphasizing that reducing income inequality and
poverty is unlikely to suddenly eliminate all forms of racism. For example, if
my sources are correct, perhaps the biggest social problem in Scandinavian
countries today is discrimination against non-white immigrants. Accepting and
embracing different cultures is one thing Canada does better (although we still
have a long way to go in accommodating Aboriginal rights & needs).

Jeff

--
Jeff Denis
PhD Student

"The principle of organizing our society for the benefit of all the people and
not for a privileged few - that is still here and that is a principle to which
we adhere." - Tommy C. Douglas