From:
[log in to unmask] (Perry Mehrling)
Date:
Fri Aug 8 15:41:29 2008
I am not surprised that Warsh is talking about this kind of thing before us HETers.  Journalism is the first draft of history.  In my own work, I took inspiration from Peter Bernstein's journalistic Capital Ideas, but then wrote a very different kind of book.  Similarly, I think we can take inspiration from the potted narratives of modern economics that are told to graduate students for pedagogical purposes, but we should not mistake them for proper history.  I have tried to do that in my own work tracing the origins of modern macro to the revolution in finance.

I guess I am suggesting that journalism and review articles are not HET, but can be inspirations for HET, and inevitably work that is so inspired tends to engage the same people who read the journalism and the review articles.  I would not however want to limit the scope of HET to work that is so inspired.

Perry Mehrling