AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Liz Mayville <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Liz Mayville <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:58:04 -0400
Good Morning Everyone,

Archives Awareness Week is supposed to be a time to acknowledge the accomplishments of our fellow colleagues as well as a time to celebrate the diversity of archives across this Province. Therefore, I am, as I am sure all of you were, deeply distressed to hear of the events that occurred last week in Stratford-Perth. Lutzen Riedstra and Carolynn Bart-Riedstra have been instrumental in building the Stratford-Perth Archives into an example of a successful community-based municipal archives. In addition, to the wonderful work they do locally, both Carolynn and Lutzen are well known and well respected in the archival community across Canada for the advocacy work they do.

It is a great shock to hear that the County of Perth has deemed the positions of Archivist Director and Deputy Director/Archivist to be redundant and that, according to a newspaper report, they intend to contract out the management of the archives.

If you wish to write a letter to voice your concerns please send them to Ron McKay, Warden County of Perth, Ria Colquhoun, CAO, County of Perth and even to the Mayor of Stratford, Dan Mathieson. Letters can also be sent to the Stratford Beacon Herald or the Stratford Gazette. Contact information is available on the various websites. However, please feel free to contact me for an address.

In amidst of this stunning news, I do have a bit of good news to share. When Carolynn was informed of the County's decision to terminate her position, she contacted me to see if she could withdraw her resignation as Archives Advisor. The Hiring Committee and the Board all strongly agreed that Carolynn has been fantastic in her role of Archives Advisor and that she should continue on in this position.

Therefore, I am pleased to announce that Carolynn will be continuing on as the AAO's Archives Advisor.

Caroylnn's new contact information will be available shortly.

Sincerely,

Liz Mayville
AAO President