From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
Date:
In his quite interesting review of Robert Leeson's work on Chicago,
Friedman and the Oral tradition, Warren Samuels makes a few passing
references to Melchior Palyi as someone other than Mints who taught
monetary courses at Chicago.

Could Warren Samuels or anyone else on the list provide more information
about Melchior Palyi's career or point me to sources on the same?

Palyi is mentioned briefly in the Friedmans' _Two Lucky People_ memoirs
as someone who taught or was associated with monetary issues at Chicago.
However, Palyi is also listed in Chicago Announcements for 1935-36 as
teaching a course on The Historical School. This may have been some
version of the course Knight taught on the German Historical School.
Palyi is listed on the faculty at least by 1927 with a degree from the
Berlin Handelshochschule.   He is also mentioned in Ira Cohen's
introduction to the Transactions Press edition of Max Weber's General
Economic History translated by Frank Knight (p.LXXV of the intro).
Cohen indicates that Palyi was one of two scholars that Weber's wife
selected to prepare a manuscript from lecture notes of Weber's students
from the 1919-20 lectures on which the book is based. Cohen also indicates
that Palyi along with Weber's wife edited the original edition of Weber's
Economy and Society.

I am intrigued by someone  who both helped edit Weber's lectures and
works and also taught monetary issues as well as a course on the
Historical School at Chicago. So I would appreciate further details on his
career anyone can provide.

Thanks,

David Mitch