From:
[log in to unmask] (Benjamin H. Mitra-Kahn)
Date:
Sun Jan 28 09:26:56 2007
At the risk of going to times forgotten in a 'pre 1936' debate, I would just
like to volunteer that at the start of the 17th century, which (in my
opinion) saw the start of thinking about an economy as a defined entity, the
arguments were very much between those in favour of, and those opposed to
Laissez Faire policies.

Originally England, and her economic advisors, were staunchly against free
trade, and for regulation, supported by the trade guilds, and this was only
challenged (anonymously at first) during the middle of the 17th century. For
example, the exportation of gold for foreign investment, was illegal for a
long while, and is only contested by Thomas Mun in is 1664 book which was
published in 1696.

The sentiments which later authors would take for granted or rely on a
deity for, were discussed and formed in this century, and it was a very non
laissez-faire affair, at least in the very beginning.

Just my two cents.

Benjamin H. Mitra-Kahn